The traditional therapeutic healing practice referred to as Vagina Steam, Vagi-Steam, V-Steam or Bajos has been used for centuries by Korean and Central American cultures. It was most recently introduced to mainstream Western pop-culture as a result of the Vagi-Steam experience of actress Gwyneth Paltrow and to put it mildly has since received a lot of attention.
Doctors and alternative healthcare practitioners seem to be in disagreement about the efficacy of a traditional vagina steam. This ancient herbal therapy is used as one way for women with fertility health issues to naturally support healing, but it can also be used by those simply wishing to maintain healthy fertility.
If you are interested in giving this easy, at-home natural hydrotherapy a try, here are three do-it-yourself recipes…
Revitalize Steam – a blend of herbs to enliven the reproductive organs by increasing circulation – moving and strengthening Qi (energy) – that are also known to purify the blood and relieve congestion.
¾ cup Mugwort (Artemisia vulgaris)
⅛ cup Yarrow (Achillea millefolium)
⅛ cup Rosemary (Rosmarinus off.)
Uterine Calming Steam – a blend of herbs traditionally used to relax and tone the uterus. The herbs in this blend are anti-inflammatory, mildly sedative, antispasmodic, and nervines (calming for the nervous system). This recipe is great for those with pelvic pain associated with fertility issues and premenstrual cramps. These herbs are also helpful in reducing anxiety and lifting the spirit!
½ cup Motherwort (Leonurus cardiaca)
¼ cup Chamomile (Matricaria recutita)
¼ cup Lavender (Lavandula angustifolia)
*To be used prior to, not during menstruation.
Vaginal Dryness Steam – a blend of herbs to support vaginal tissue integrity and to soothe, soften and tone vaginal tissues, as well as increase circulation to stimulate cervical mucus production and increase libido, support hormone balance, and reduce pain and inflammation.
½ cup Red Clover (Trifolium pratense)
¼ cup Damiana (Turnera diffusa)
⅛ cup Dandelion leaf (Taraxacum off.)
⅛ cup St. John’s Wort (Hypericum perforatum)
Why not give it a try?
A traditional vagina steam can be an effective, easy, low cost natural therapy to include in many natural fertility programs. There are some cases when it should not be performed and may not be the only way to consider supporting your fertility health. So, take time to Learn How to do a Traditional Mayan Vagi-Steam for Fertility here…
1. Barton-Schuster, D. (n.d.). Traditional Vagina Steam for Healthy Fertility. Retrieved March 6, 2015, from http://natural-fertility-info.com/vagina-steam.html
2. Rodriguez, H. (n.d.). Increase Cervical Mucous to Get Pregnant. Retrieved March 6, 2015, from http://natural-fertility-info.com/5-natural-ways-to-increase-your-cervical-mucous.html
3. Romm, A. (2010). Botanical medicine for women’s health. St. Louis, Mo.: Churchill Livingstone/Elsevier.
4. Wolff, L. Personal Communication. Three Seasons of Herbalist Wisdom.
- Fertility Herb Guide: Absent Period & Lack Of Menstruation
- Success Story: With Focus on Preconception Health, Kara Conceives Her 8th Child
- Success Story: Natural Therapies Help Stephanie Start & Grow Her Family
- Fertility Tip: How to Enhance Fertility After IUD Removal
- The Benefits of DIM for Male Fertility