One Of The Most Important Things To Eat For Fertility
We like pop quizzes… Ready?
Can you guess one of the most important nutrient groups to be sure you are eating foods from in your daily Fertility Diet?
A: amino acids
B: essential fatty acids
C: B vitamins
There’s no wrong answer! Each of these nutrients benefit fertility health, but our focus in this video is B: essential fatty acids.
Essential fatty are an essential part of Fertility Diet! Today you will learn more about essential fatty acids and how they can help fertility. This video was shared live on Periscope! Download the Periscope App to get notifications of my live broadcasts!
Essential fatty acids (EFAs) are extremely important to get into the diet for a variety of reasons:
- Hormonal regulation and hormone production
- Creating cervical mucous to help the sperm get to the egg
- Help to promote regular ovulation
- Work to decrease/reduce inflammation
- Help reduce painful menstruation
- Help increase circulation to the reproductive system
- Sperm production and sperm health
Essential fatty acids are crucial for preconception care, early pregnancy and beyond (while breastfeeding). EFA’s are essential in ample amounts for nervous system, brain, eye, and heart development for the fetus.
Studies have shown that mother’s who took EFAs every day during their pregnancy and three months postpartum while breastfeeding had more intelligent children than mother’s who did not. There have been other studies showing that babies with high levels of DHA (which is an omega-3 essential fatty acid) did better on visual acuity tests and learning tests. This may be evidence that as a mom, taking EFAs is something that can have a huge impact on your child’s health and ability to act in the world.
Best sources of omega-3 EFAs:
– fish — Salmon (fatty fish, 3-4 ounces for a serving)
– Fertilica Cod Liver Oil
– grass-fed meats
– nuts and seeds: flax and hemp seeds (are highest in EFA’s and the least expensive options), walnuts and chia seeds.
– Flaxseeds: Just two tablespoons of flax seeds contain about 3,500mg of omega-3 EFAs. We need about 1,000 – 2,000mg omega-3 per day, so only one tablespoon of flaxseeds is needed daily.
– Hemp seeds: Just three tablespoons of hemp seeds contain 3,000mg of omega-3 EFAs plus 15g of protein.
– Walnuts: Walnuts which have a little over 2,000mg omega-3 EFAs for ¼ cup, which is a small handful.
– Chia seeds: Just one tablespoon of chia seeds contain 2,300mg of omega-3 EFA’s.
Omega 3 EFAs are very easy to consume, inexpensive, quick way to boost your Fertility Diet. Considering adding any or all of the above foods to your Fertility Smoothies, daily large green salad, homemade granola, etc. each day starting now through pregnancy and beyond.
Resources shared in this guide:
Fertilica Cod Liver Oil