Castor oil therapy has been used for centuries to promote healing in the body and, more specifically, the reproductive system. Castor oil packs are an excellent therapy when used with Self Fertility Massage and while Fertility Cleansing.
What is Castor Oil?
Castor oil is derived from the seeds of the Castor plant (Ricinus communis), also known as Palma Christi. Castor oil has been used for thousands of years, dating back as far as 4,000 years.
What is a Castor Oil Pack?
A Castor Oil Pack is a cloth soaked in castor oil which is placed on the skin to enhance circulation and promote healing of the tissues and organs underneath the skin.
What Can a Castor Oil Pack be Used for?
Castor oil has been traditionally used to aid in cases with inflammation, pain, growths or when increased circulation was desired.
Edgar Cayce, the “father of holistic medicine”, suggested external application of castor oil packs to stimulate the organs of the abdomen (liver, gall ladder and colon) and as treatment for adhesions in the abdomen.
‘Practitioners of integrative medicine have adopted the use of castor oil packs for a wide variety of conditions, particularly female reproductive problems, for example, The Wellness Resource Guide for Medical Students suggests using hot abdominal castor oil packs for menstrual cramps. Dr. Christiane Northrup recommends abdominal castor oil packs (60 minutes per session, two to four times a week) for both the treatment and prevention of cramps and pelvic pain for women experiencing the common pelvic symptoms…
The American Cancer Society website states that, “Naturopathic practitioners… and some others claim that castor oil boosts the immune system…”‘ shares Dr. Eric A. Mein, et al. in the journal Evid. Based Integrative Med
When it comes to fertility, Castor Oil packs could be a great, supportive and relaxing therapy for:
- Supporting ovarian health
- Supporting fallopian tube health
- Supporting uterine health
- Detoxifying before conception
- Supporting Egg Health
Watch Video: Castor Oil Therapy 101
How Do Castor Oil Packs Promote Healing?
Castor oil packs stimulate 3 important parts of the body: lymphatic and circulatory systems and the liver. The stimulation of these body systems aids the body in healing the organs and tissues beneath where the castor oil pack is applied.
The lymphatic system removes toxins and waste from the area stimulated by the castor oil pack. The lymphatic system provides each cell in the body a means to get rid of waste. The lymphatic system relies on external movement and manipulation, as well as regular movement of the entire body to function. The lymphatic system does not have a “pump” to move the lymph through it like the circulatory system has the heart. Castor oil packs are one way to stimulate movement of lymph. Regular exercise is also a vital way to maintain lymphatic system health.
Stimulation of the lymphatic system occurs by applying the Castor oil pack over the reproductive system. This helps to cleanse the reproductive organs and promote healing of damaged tissues where the pack is applied.
The circulatory system is more familiar to most people, the most familiar parts being the heart, blood, veins and arteries. It runs throughout the entire body.
The promotion of circulation by the castor oil pack will bring in fresh oxygenated, nutrient-rich blood to the reproductive organs, including the uterus. Without proper circulation to the reproductive organs, they may not function at their best; this may invite disease, hinder proper healing of damaged areas, and promote formation of scar tissue and adhesions.
The liver is our chemical processing plant. The liver removes hormones, drugs, and other biologically active molecules from the blood. It then converts these by changing their structure or inactivating them, through different processes, and then excretes these to be passed through the kidneys. If there are too many excess toxins and hormones overwhelming the liver, they may be stored up, not only in the liver, but other parts of our body, especially fat.
The liver also makes 1/3 to 1/2 of all lymph. Liver health is vital to proper functioning of the lymphatic system. A liver that is overwhelmed due to poor diet, poor lifestyle choices, being sedentary, or exposure to xenohormones, cannot adequately function or produce lymph as well. This may contribute to hormonal imbalance and disease.
How to Use a Castor Oil Pack
Soak the flannel cloth that is contained in the kit with castor oil and place it on the skin. Cover the flannel with a sheet of plastic then a hot water bottle or heating pack is placed over the plastic to heat the pack. Cover everything with a towel and relax.
The best place to place a castor oil pack for fertility issues is over the lower abdomen.
Precautions: Castor oil should not be taken internally. It should not be applied to broken skin. It should not be used during pregnancy, breastfeeding, or during menstruation. If you are actively trying to conceive, discontinue use after ovulation has occurred.
How to prepare your Castor Oil Pack
- One flannel cloth contained in the kit
- One bottle of Womb Care Therapeutic Castor oil contained in the kit
- Towel (one your are okay possibly staining)
- Hot water bottle
- Container with lid
- Old clothes and sheets. Castor oil will stain clothing and bedding.
Sweet Orange: uplifting & calming; reduces inflammation; promotes circulation.
Lavender: calming; circulatory stimulant; hormone balancing.
Cypress: cleansing and clearing; detoxifying; healing; reduces inflammation; increase circulation; calming.
Copaiba: grounding; increases circulation
Ginger: warming; increases circulation; detoxifying; antioxidant.
Frankincense: regulate the menstrual cycle; reduce hormone fluctuations.
Fertilica Organic Cotton Flannel:
- Made from 100% organic cotton, free from harmful chemicals and pesticides
- Specially designed to keep the castor oil where you need it and protect clothing and objects from staining
- Reusable for 1-2 months, making it economical and eco-friendly
- Gentle and comfortable to use, so you can enjoy the benefits of Castor Oil Therapy without any discomfort or irritation
- Large flannel of 12″ x 18″. Perfect for use over lower abdomen or under chest for liver support.
- Fold a Fertilica Organic Cotton Flannel in half and apply 1-2 tablespoons of Womb Care™ Therapeutic Castor Oil to it.
- Place the pack over your reproductive system (lower abdomen) or liver area (right side of abdomen, just below ribcage).
- Cover it with our Fertilica Castor Oil Wrap. If you don’t have our wrap, use a towel and a heating pad instead. Place a towel over the top of the heat source to retain warmth.
- Relax with your castor oil pack for 30-60 minutes.
For optimal results, we recommend applying our Womb Care Castor Oil Packs 3-4 times per week, using a fresh application of oil for each session. For added benefits, enhance your experience with our Fertilica Therapeutic Essential Oil blends.
After removing the pack, cleanse your skin with soap. Store the cotton flannel in the provided bag.
There is no need to wash the pack between uses. Replace the cotton flannel every couple of months.
Castor oil packs stimulate important detoxification systems in the body, including the lymphatic system and the liver. Castor oil packs also stimulate healthy circulation. All of this is important for clearing out toxins, dead or foreign tissues, and old blood. The stimulation of these systems may also help prevent disease in the reproductive organs. Castor oil packs are a great way to support a healthy reproductive system.
- Van De Graaff, K.M., Stuart, I.F., LaFluer, Karen M. (1997). Synopsis of Human Anatomy and Physiology. Wm. C. Brown Publishers.
- Mein, E.A., Richards, D.G., McMillin, D.L. and Nelson, C.D. (2005). Transdermal Absorption of Castor Oil. Evid. Based Integrative Med 2(4):239-244. 1176-2330/05/0004-0239. Meridian Institute. Retrieved from https://www.meridianinstitute.com/reports/transdermal.pdf
- Ley, B.M. (2003). Castor Oil! It’s Healing Properties. BL Publications.