Diet is the #1 way to overcome PCOS and get pregnant naturally. Find out about a way of eating daily that is appropriate for women with PCOS and practical ways to begin boosting your fertility naturally.
Benefits of consuming a PCOS diet:
- Increase your chances of ovulation
- Help to make a better uterine environment for implantation
- Reduce stagnation in the reproductive system
- Decrease the potential of miscarriage
- Help insulin resistance as you make dietary and lifestyle changes
The main PCOS Fertility Diet tips to focus on and get started with:
1. Balance your daily protein intake with an equal amount of carbohydrates. This includes consuming protein, vegetables and a small amount of low-glycemic index carbohydrates. Carbohydrates turn into sugar in the body, so choose whole grain, high-fiber carbohydrates that absorb slowly into the system — Ezekiel bread, amaranth, millet, quinoa, buckwheat, brown rice, spelt.
2. Choose foods that are lower on the glycemic index. Most vegetables are low on the glycemic index, as are nuts and seeds, and we share many more here in our PCOS Fertility Diet Tip – Simple Food Choices to Stabilize Blood Sugar
- A few higher GI foods are: oranges, bananas, dates
- Lower GI foods include: blueberries, raspberries, and grapefruit; these are just three examples
3. Eat a diet high in fiber. This will naturally happen when you fill your plate with vegetables – green leafy vegetables, broccoli, kale, and cabbage… any vegetable that you have to chew a lot. Fiber is going to help slow the post-meal spike in blood sugar. Fiber is also great for helping the body properly metabolize estrogen. It is best to get fiber from a food source rather than a supplement, which you can become dependent on — too much fiber from a supplement may start to leach minerals from the body.
4. Eat five meals a day. This will help to keep your blood sugar levels balanced. Make smaller meals, spreading them out throughout the day. That could look something like this:
- First meal: Scrambled eggs cooked in coconut oil (which provides protein and essential fatty acids), oatmeal (whole or Irish oats) topped with blueberries
- Second meal: PCOS Fertility Smoothie (choose a low-glycemic fruit such as blueberries or make a vegetable-based smoothie). Add to it kefir, coconut milk or almond milk. Make sure to add a protein (FertiliWhey, hemp, pea or rice protein powder) and fat source — this will slow down the absorption of that sugar.
- Third meal: Organic turkey and lettuce wrap with some celery and hummus.
- Fourth meal: Cage-free, organic chicken with lots of steamed or roasted vegetables.
- Fifth meal: Greek yogurt topped with fruit and nuts. Fat is great to have in the last meal to keep you feeling full for the rest of the evening.
Additional PCOS Resources…
Resources for Treating PCOS Naturally
How to Reduce the Damaging Effects of PCOS on Fertility Through Diet and Herbs
Important Natural Health Tips for Women with Lean PCOS
PCOS Fertility Diet Tip – Simple Food Choices to Stabilize Blood Sugar
PCOS Fertility Smoothies