Do you have menstrual cramps? Essential oils can be very helpful! They help support the systems of the body when used in conjunction with lifestyle changes and a natural fertility health program. They may not be all that you need, but are one useful tool!
Women with dysmenorrhea or “difficult menstruation” have been shown to produce seven times more prostaglandin F2 alpha than women who do not. When the prostaglandin F2 alpha is released into the bloodstream in high levels, it causes the uterus to spasm. Women know uterus spams as menstrual or period cramps.
There are three different categories of essential oils that you can use to help with cramping:
- Antispasmodic oils that cause spasms to stop
- Hormonal that support hormonal balance
- Analgesic oils that are known to reduce pain
How To Use Essential Oils
You first dilute them. This means you will dilute the essential oil with a base oil such as almond, grapeseed, or jojoba oil. Lotion can work too. To help relieve menstrual cramps and reduce pain, consider using a 5-20% dilution on the lower abdomen. The higher the percentage dilution the stronger the formula will be. This is not something you would use every day for a month. It would only be used when experiencing cramps.
Important notes: You do not want to apply most essential oils directly onto the skin, especially the analgesic oils. They can burn the skin, but are very effective and strong. These are not essential oils to be used while actively trying to conceive, during the two-week wait or while in first trimester. These are to be used during your period while you are having cramps.
Here is a dilution chart to follow:
1 ounce of carrier oil:
- 1% dilution: 5-6 drops of essential oils total (for babies, children, and in pregnancy)
- 2% dilution: 10-12 drops of essential oils total
- 3% dilution: 15-18 drops of essential oils total
When using 1-ounce carrier, you would add 100 drops of essential oil if going for a 20% dilution. If you wanted a 5% dilution, you would add about 25 drops total of essential oils to 1 oz. of carrier oil.
2 ounces of carrier oil:
- 1% dilution: 10-12 drops of essential oils total
- 2% dilution: 20-24 drops of essential oils total
- 3% dilution: 30-36 drops of essential oils total
To make your blend:
- Get a 1 oz bottle, blue or amber glass is preferred
- Shake up your essential oils
- Add essential oil drops to the bottle
- Pour in the carrier oil
- Shake gently to mix
Applying your essential oil blend:
- Drop a small amount into your hand and gently rub it into your lower abdomen
- Add your essential oil blend to a Castor Oil Pack. Our guide How to Enhance the Benefits of Castor Oil with Essential Oils will teach you how.
- Add your blend into a hot bath.
Note: You do not need to use these internally for menstrual cramp relief.
Essential Oils to Consider
An example blend that you could make would be something like: chamomile, peppermint, lavender, clary sage or fennel, ginger or sweet marjoram. It does not matter what you use from the list, pick whatever you have on hand, making sure that the total number of drops is between the 5-20% dilution. You should enjoy the smell too!
I hope you find this helpful and that you have something to reach for on your next cycle when you have cramps. Let me know how it works for you.
Additional resources mentioned in this video:
Natural Remedies for Painful Menstruation
Enhance Overall Fertility with Evening Primrose
5 Essential Oils Considered Safe In Pregnancy