Menstrual health is one hot topic right now! Currently, there is a huge movement to empower women to talk more openly about their periods, because, like it or not, it is a very important part of life! In this video I talk about different types of periods and what they may be saying about fertility health.
Disclaimer: TMI (too much information) 😉
Dark, thick and clotty
- A possible indicator of high estrogen levels. This would also cause a heavier cycle than normal because higher estrogen levels mean the uterus lining could be thicker than normal.
- Lack of circulation to the uterus – try these and see if there is improvement: yoga, Self Fertility Massage, walking.
- Dehydration – drink more water.
Dark, thick and clotty with pain (cramping):
Consider reducing the amount of animal protein you are eating.
Lighter color similar to strawberry jam
- This may be a sign that estrogen levels are low. In this case, period flow can be patchy and is often late because less estrogen means a thinner uterine lining. It should also be noted that a light flow is also associated with birth control use for some women.
- Possible nutritional deficiencies – eat a nutrient-dense diet with increased amounts of protein and good fats.
- Low vitality and energy may also be a cause of a scant, light period.
A bright red period is a sign of a normal and healthy menstrual flow.
- Hormonal imbalance
- Fertility issues such as endometriosis, PCOS or uterine fibroids
- Nutritional deficiencies
- Poor circulation to the reproductive organs
Resources talked about in this video:
Thinx Period Panties
Learn more about natural menstrual care products here…
- Reference: Wolfe, D. (n.d.). This is What Your Period is Saying About Your Health! Retrieved from: http://www.davidwolfe.com/period-and-health/?c=pwf&vp=merc