Unless you’ve been living under a rock for the past few years, you’re probably already aware of some of the benefits of yoga. In fact, if you were living under a rock in a scenic area, you may have encountered yogis engaging in this spiritual discipline while immersed in the peaceful serenity by the rock you called home.
Most people have heard that yoga is good for stress-relief, posture, and preparing the body during pregnancy. One of the lesser known benefits of yoga is that it may also increase your chances of falling pregnant. Here are five amazing fertility benefits of yoga:
1. Reduces Stress
This is the big one; studies have found that yoga can help to reduce stress. Stress is believed to be a potential cause of fertility issues amongst both men and women. With hectic workloads, financial worries, and busy personal lives, it’s easy to see why people are feeling stressed. Add in the pressure of fertility worries, and it’s no wonder experts are advising couples to find ways to reduce their stress levels when trying for a baby. Feeling stressed or anxious can reduce fertility. Yoga is a great way to reduce stress levels and this could help you to become more fertile.
2. Strengthens the Endocrine System
Your endocrine system is responsible for your hormonal balance and plays an important role in fertility. Yoga can support and strengthen the endocrine system, allowing for proper hormonal balance.
3. Increases Blood Flow to the Reproductive Organs
The more blood flowing to your reproductive organs, the more oxygen and nutrients they are receiving. Increased blood flow nourishes the endometrial lining of the uterus and can increase the chance of both fertilization and implantation.
4. Encourages a More Positive Mindset
The calm and strength learned through yoga can help to create a more positive mindset. The breathing techniques used during yoga are great for centering yourself during periods of worry or anxiety too. When negative thoughts creep in, you can exhale them away and focus instead on positivity. Yoga teaches you greater control of your body and you may find that you feel more positive about your body through yoga.
5. May Increase Libido
Lifestyle is an important factor for libido; studies have found that regular exercise can increase libido. By practicing yoga regularly, you may find that your sex drive increases. If you find that you feel worried and anxious during ovulation, the techniques used in yoga may help you to stay calm and reduce the impact of stress on your fertility levels.
Where to Learn Yoga for Fertility
If you’re a yoga novice, look out for yoga classes in your local area. The experienced class leader will be able to teach you the basics of yoga and show you some of the poses used in fertility yoga. If there is a fertility yoga class nearby, even better. You’ll be able to learn the poses whilst meeting other people who know firsthand what you’re going through.
If yoga is already a part of your regular routine, you’ll be able to tailor your workout to improve your fertility. Poses utilized in fertility yoga include:
- Viparita Karani (legs up the wall)
- Setu Bandhasana (the bridge)
- Baddha Konasana (the cobbler’s pose)
- Supta Baddha Konasana (reclining bound angle)
Even if you’re a seasoned yoga devotee, you may find a specialist fertility yoga class useful or you can learn the specifics of fertility yoga at home through a fertility yoga DVD or eBook. Learn more about that here…
- Wheeler, M. (n.d.). Yoga reduces stress; now it’s known why. Retrieved from: http://newsroom.ucla.edu/releases/yoga-reduces-stress-now-it-s-known-236785
- Publications, H. H. (n.d.). Yoga for anxiety and depression – Harvard Health. Retrieved from: http://www.health.harvard.edu/mind-and-mood/yoga-for-anxiety-and-depression
- Rodriguez, H. (n.d.). Fertility Yoga. Retrieved from: http://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-yoga
- Barton-Schuster, D. (n.d.). Endocrinology and Fertility: The Endocrine System is Vital for Reproductive Health. Retrieved from: http://natural-fertility-info.com/endocrinology-and-fertility-the-endocrine-system-is-vital-for-reproductive-health.html
- Dorle, P., Dr. (n.d.). Yoga For Blood Circulation. Retrieved from: http://www.yogapoint.com/articles/yoga_circulation.htm
- Yoga, Positive Thinking Make Hearts Healthier – Health Essentials from Cleveland Clinic. (n.d.). Retrieved from: https://health.clevelandclinic.org/2013/08/yoga-positive-thinking-make-hearts-healthier/
- Seguss, J., & Fromberg, E. G., DO. (n.d.). Fertility-Boosting Yoga Poses. Retrieved from: http://www.parents.com/getting-pregnant/pre-pregnancy-health/exercise/fertility-boosting-yoga-poses/#page=8
- Lamberton, D. (n.d.). Yoga for fertility. Retrieved from: http://www.chatelaine.com/health/fitness/yoga-for-fertility/