Before you start trying for a family, sex is fun, exciting, intimate, and a great way to spend a weekend. Once you start trying for a family, however, you may find that some of the fun disappears. If you are worried about conceiving and sex has become business-like, you and your partner may be suffering from decreased libido. Fear not though, here are some natural ways to increase your baby-making libido:
1. Scrap the agenda
Sex is not a business meeting and it certainly shouldn’t feel that way. Stop worrying about positions, orgasms and timings, and instead focus on enjoying sex. Forget everything you have learned about optimal fertility and just spend some time (even if it’s just one cycle) enjoying each other once again.
2. Put sex on the table
If sex has become all about baby making, you may only be having sex at certain times in your cycle. Put sex back on the table – hell, have sex on the table if it helps, just get some spontaneity back into your sex life.
3. Get intimate
Intimacy isn’t just about sex, it’s also about desire. One sure fire way to increase your libido, is to put some effort into intimacy. Give each other massages, take baths together, or go for a romantic weekend away – do whatever you need to help you reconnect physically. It doesn’t need to be about sex; it can be about romance and love at first, and you may find those feelings develop into sexual desire.
4. Work on your relationship
If you’re trying to start a family, chances are you believe you have a pretty strong relationship. But trying to conceive can put a lot of pressure on a relationship. Communication, trust, and openness are all important factors in a relationship, and you need to take time to nurture your relationship.
5. Throw away the ovulation sticks
This one might be controversial, but if you’re suffering from a decreased libido, it may be time to give the ovulation sticks a rest for a cycle or so. It might help you to fire up your sexual appetite again. Have sex when you and your partner want to, not when your cycle dictates you must.
6. Look after yourself
Stop smoking, reduce your drinking, and start eating a healthy, balanced diet. Avoid junk food, which can leave you feeling groggy, and instead indulge in fresh fruits and vegetables that will leave you full of energy. Remember all those changes you promised yourself on New Year’s Eve? Now is the time to make them.
7. Start exercising
Exercise is known to reduce stress and increase libido. It’s up to you what exercise you choose – and there are plenty to choose from – but make sure you are exercising a few times each week. Yoga, swimming, running, and exercise classes are great ways to let off steam and reconnect with your body.
Stress can be difficult to deal with and can leave you feeling turned off sex. By reducing your stress levels, you can improve your sex drive. Exercising is a great way to start de-stressing, but there are other things you can do to. Meditation and relaxation are great ways to unwind at the end of a busy day.
9. Eat aphrodisiacs
It is well-documented that some foods are believed to increase sexual desire, and this dates back as far as Greek mythology. Avocado, bananas, raw oysters, chocolate, figs, and soy are all thought to contain vitamins and minerals that can increase libido. Why not have a date night, indulging in a three-course meal made up of aphrodisiacs?
10. Consider natural supplements
There are a number of natural supplements that claim to increase libido. Maca root has been shown to increase sexual desire and plenty of people swear by it. Vitamin E, Zinc, ginseng, and horny-goat weed are other popular natural supplements used to increase libido. Be sure to speak to your healthcare practitioner before beginning a new nutritional supplement to make sure it’s suited to your health needs.
- 10 Best Supplements for Low Libido. (n.d.). Retrieved from: http://www.newsmax.com/FastFeatures/low-libido-supplements-Herbal/2011/02/23/id/387181/
- Heyes, J. (n.d.). Increase your libido naturally with foods and supplements. Retrieved from: http://www.naturalnews.com/041997_libido_enhancers_food_nutrients.html
- Top 10 Natural Ways to Boost Libido. (n.d.). Retrieved from: http://health.howstuffworks.com/sexual-health/sexual-dysfunction/top-10-natural-ways-to-boost-libido1.htm
- Emling, S. (n.d.). Boost Libido: 7 Natural Ways To Kickstart Your Sex Drive. Retrieved from: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/06/18/boost-libido_n_3454936.html
- Rodriguez, H. (n.d.). Bringing Back Sensuality and Passion to Your Conception Efforts. Retrieved from: http://natural-fertility-info.com/fertility-libido.html
- Wong, C., ND. (n.d.). How to Treat Sexual Dysfunction in Women Naturally. Retrieved from: https://www.verywell.com/natural-remedies-for-sexual-dysfunction-in-women-89935