Regardless of the reason you stumbled upon this site, besides the unique situation you find yourself in at this very moment… no matter what the fertility issue you are dealing with, there are some things every single woman trying to conceive should be doing. And if you are not, you’re missing out.
I’m going to let you in on a little secret about natural health and fertility… these fertility lifestyle changes work because they support the whole body. A lot of times when trying to “fix” something in the body we tend to segment it and focus only on the “symptoms” or problems occurring. When it comes to true healing, health and fertility, we can not look at the body like that anymore. Especially when it comes to fertility! There are so many systems, feedback loops, hormonal signals and organs that all have to work together, that “treating” one symptom is not the most effective approach.
An example of this one symptom approach would be using a medication to force the body to ovulate. This one medication does not:
- address the underlying reason the body is not ovulating
- nourish the ovum and ovary so they can function healthfully
- create a healthier balanced body for pregnancy
- support hormonal balance so ovulation can occur
But, with using this type of medication you do get:
- possible ovulation may occur (30%)
- greater chance of having twins or triplets (7.98%)
- possible side effects such as Ovarian Hyperstimulation Syndrome, blurring or other visual symptoms, abdominal/pelvic pain or distention
In holistic fertility health, we focus on the entire body with a rounded, all inclusive approach. For instance, with adding the lifestyle changes below and specific supplements or herbs for your individual situation, the body is able to heal itself and function as it should when in a healthy state.
When using this type of approach you:
- have a greater chance of ovulating naturally
- have a healthier body which = better chance of a healthy pregnancy & baby
- the body is able to balance the underlying imbalance, other “symptoms” or fertility/health issues may also disappear
What you do not get from this holistic fertility approach is:
- side effects
- a “quick fix”
Now that you understand how holistic fertility health works here are the 6 things every woman who is preparing for pregnancy and trying to conceive should do. Note: If you are experiencing specific fertility issues you may also want to add specific herbs and supplements to get the best results for your personal situation. Consider the suggestions below as a foundation to build your natural fertility program upon.
1. Focus on a Fertility Diet
“There is no question whatever about the fact that we are exactly what we eat. There is no other way in which the cells and tissues of our body can be replenished, except from what we eat and drink, and REPLENISHMENT is the great law of life.” -Norman Walker
First and foremost diet is the most important first step in moving towards a healthy fertility lifestyle. As Norman Walker stated in the quote above – everything we eat makes up our cells and tissues of our body. This includes our ovum (eggs), ovaries, uterus, hormones, baby… etc..
I have written to great extent about a healthy fertility diet on this website. Here is a list of fertility diet resources that you may find helpful:
The Natural Fertility Diet – How to Eat Healthy for Optimal Fertility
21 Day Fertility Diet Challenge (a great way to get started on the Fertility Diet)
Fertility Smoothies for Optimal Health
Do You Know How to Eat for Fertility? Here are My Top 10 Fertility Diet Tips…
2. Fertility Massage
As a former massage therapist I might be biased, but massage should be a part of every woman’s natural fertility plan. Our clients have received incredible benefits from performing Self Fertility Massage, some of them being:
- Increase circulation to the uterus, ovaries and eggs
- Support the body in clearing adhesions and scar tissue
- Helps to bring fresh oxygenated blood to the reproductive system
- Enhance the hormonal feed-back loop
There are two ways to get a fertility massage
1. Find a massage therapist that specializes in fertility and uterine massage.
2. Learn how to do Self Fertility Massage through DVD.
Both are very effective and feel wonderful, it just depends on your budget and if you live near a therapist. For the best results fertility massage should be done regularly. Do not do Self Fertility Massage or receive uterine massage while you are menstruating or if you think you may be pregnant.
Here are some additional fertility massage resources:
How to Use Self Fertility Massage™ to Boost Your Chances of Conception
Natural Fertility Coaching Call: Preparing For Conception With Fertility Cleansing & Self Fertility Massage
Natural Fertility Coaching Call: Mayan Abdominal Massage
3. Listen to something inspirational, fill your mind with good things
The mind is a powerful tool… one you should be using daily to support your fertility journey. Science has shown that thoughts and emotions have an effect on the physical body, this includes fertility. We also know that stress can have an effect on fertility as well.
Find a way to fill your mind with good things daily. Here are some suggestions:
- Have an attitude of gratitude. Keep a gratitude journal
- Use a daily fertility-mind/body program like CircleBloom
4. Use EFT, use it on everything
One of the most powerful tools that I used on a weekly basis in my life is EFT. EFT is a technique similar to self acupressure (without the needles), which can be quickly used on both mental and physical problems.
Are you feeling stressed out about something? Are you emotional because of PMS? Are you feeling pain from cramps? Are you nervous about getting pregnant or stressed out that it hasn’t happened yet? Use EFT on it.
EFT is a great technique (a very simple tapping technique) that can be used in any situation, at any place and any time. For example… I used to have a fear of flying in planes. After learning about EFT during a Natural Fertility Coaching call I hosted, I used EFT when we were flying to see family. I used it before getting to the airport & during take off. I am now not afraid of flying any more! From then on my husband and I have used it on so many things and get great results. This is a great tool to use during your fertility journey to help make it a more enjoyable experience.
Here is an EFT resource you may find helpful:
Reduce Stress and Enhance your Fertility with EFT…
5. Whole Food Multivitamin
In addition to a healthy fertility diet, every woman who is preparing for pregnancy should be taking a whole food prenatal multivitamin. There are many nutrients that are needed to support ovulation, hormonal balance, egg health, etc. and a deficiency can result in lack of ovulation, poor egg health and many other fertility issues.
- Did you know that anemia (low iron, B12, B6) can cause ovulation to stop?
- Did you know that the period of time that it is most important for the fetus to get folic acid, is before you will even know you are pregnant?
- Did you know that most Americans are deficient in Zinc, an important mineral for fertility?
- Did you know that vitamin C helps to improve hormonal levels and increases fertility in women with luteal phase defect?
- Did you know that a Harvard study has shown that taking multivitamins improve chances of pregnancy?
Getting all of your nutrients form your diet should first and foremost be the priority, but in addition a whole food prenatal multivitamin is also important. We recommend the Baby and Me Prenatal from Mega Food.
6. Juice and Smoothies
When people ask me what the one biggest dietary change someone can make when trying to boost their fertility, I have to say it is juicing and smoothies. Liquid nutrition makes it so much easier to get a large amount of these nutrient dense foods into your body. Regardless of what your diet is like right now, juicing can help to make you healthier, reduce cravings for other foods and making you feel fabulous.
Smoothies and juices are an incredibly easy way to get a large amount of antioxidants (good for egg health and DNA integrity), vitamins, minerals and enzymes. They are easy to make, can be taken on the go and taste great.
In the body our cells are constantly dying and being created over and over again. Everything in the body is made up of cells. The uterus, blood, fallopian tubes, eggs, and ovaries are made from cells. When our body is creating these cells it is pulling from the foods that you eat for its building blocks. If you are eating fresh whole foods, then your body is going to have the ingredients it needs to produce healthy, vibrant cells. If you are eating processed foods, processed sugars and chemicals, that is what your body has to work with and will not be able to build healthy cells. Fertility smoothies and juicing help to make it easy.
Here are some resources to learn more about juicing and smoothies for fertility:
21 Day Fertility Diet Challenge
Fertility Smoothies – A Fun and Delicious Way to Boost Your Fertility
One Fertility Tip You Probably Don’t Know About…Juicing
After reading this article I hope you now have a clearer idea of how to live a healthy fertility lifestyle. While this list is not all-inclusive I did include the 6 things I feel are most important and effective in creating a healthy fertile body. Please share your thoughts and experiences with making shifts in your fertility lifestyle to a healthier one below.
- Top 5 Fertility Foods For Fall
- Video: One Of The Most Important Things To Eat For Fertility
- Success Story: Milissa Focuses on Natural Ways to Prevent Another Miscarriage & Conceives
- Fertility Health: Clearing Up Confusion About Turmeric As Birth Control
- Video: Fertility Q&A – Low Progesterone, Miscarriage & Egg Health