Coconut oil is one of my favorite sources of healthy, essential fats for preconception and fertility. Coconut oil is versatile and easy to use. High quality coconut oil can be used as part of your daily Fertility Diet, natural fertility program, and as a key natural body care ingredient.
All About Coconut Oil
Coconut oil was once criticized for its saturated fat content, but today has made a big comeback in the world of health and nutrition. Coconut oil contains medium-chain saturated fats. It’s important to understand that there are two kinds of saturated fats — long-chain and medium-chain.
- Long-chain saturated fats are linked to “bad” LDL cholesterol and clogged arteries; while medium-chain saturated fats actually stimulate metabolism.
- Medium-chain fatty acids in coconut oil provide quick energy, are easy to digest, and can help a weight loss program by boosting metabolism. In addition, the healthy fats in coconut oil are satiating, and can keep you from bingeing on sugar or other junk foods.
Fertility Benefits of Coconut Oil
Coconut oil benefits fertility and preconception health in numerous ways. Its essential fats:
- support healthy hormone production
- support proper body fat composition whether under or overweight
- boost cervical mucus production
- encourage strong immune health and digestion; poor digestive or immune health can slow down the success of any natural fertility program
Coconut oil is also highly anti-inflammatory and a good source of caprylic and lauric acids, which fight candida yeast overgrowth. Chronic candida yeast infections disrupt vaginal pH and make daily life uncomfortable. Since it’s wise to avoid sex with an infection, having a yeast imbalance can also make timing intercourse in your fertile window more challenging.
Other coconut oil benefits…
A promising rat study from Tufts University proposes based on study findings that “coconut oil could become the first dietary intervention to reduce C. albicans GI [“gut”] colonization.” While candida naturally resides in the gut, when immune (or gut) health is compromised, candida can leave the guy and cause infections elsewhere in the body.
Coconut oil is a good choice for people with leaky gut, Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS), constipation, and eating disorders. Medium-chain fatty acids from coconut oil are widely used to help premature infants and people recovering from accidents or illnesses, where digestive health is weak but the need for nutrition is strong. Healthy fats in coconut oil are excellent for skin health and beauty. Coconut oil reduces inflammation of the skin and can ease the irritation of psoriasis, eczema, rosacea, acne, and more.
Ways To Use Coconut Oil
Cooking – Coconut oil can withstand heat and adds a sweet flavor to recipes. Coconut oil can be used to sauté, stir fry and in healthy baking and spreads. Coconut milk and kefir are delicious and nutritious dairy replacements. Coconut oil blends nicely into Fertility Smoothies (just 1 Tbsp) for people who have trouble getting enough healthy fats in their diets.
Natural Body Care- Coconut oil is widely used in natural skin and hair care, massage oils, lip balms, and for pregnancy skin needs. It’s chemical-free, highly nourishing and moisturizing. Many people use it in their everyday lotions or to speed healing from rashes or minor skin irritations. Coconut oil is even a good deep conditioning treatment for your hair and can be used to remove makeup. Note: True coconut oil is solid at room temperature, but will liquefy with the heat from your hands.
Natural Lubricant- While the vagina is normally self-lubricating, many women benefit from extra support in this area. Coconut oil is a non-toxic, sperm-friendly lubricant for intercourse. It helps decrease vaginal dryness, pain during intercourse, and will not disrupt your conception efforts. Just apply a small amount as needed. Keep a special jar for skin/body care use (do not use the same jar you use to cook with).
Choose Coconut Oil!
When choosing a brand, I recommend high quality, unrefined or virgin coconut oil (which is less refined and more nutritious). Always use separate containers for cooking and skin care needs. This helps to keep your coconut oil sanitary, and allows you to experiment with other ingredients like essential oils (bodycare) or seasonings (cooking) depending on your use. When working on your Fertility Program, be sure to try coconut oil. You will be amazed by everything it can do for you!
- Can Coconut Oil Improve Fertility? (2015, Oct.). Retrieved from: http://human-fertility.com/coconut-oil-uses-for-fertility/
- Fassa, P. (2017). Study: Candida Infections Can Be Controlled with Coconut Oil. Retrieved from: http://coconutoil.com/study-candida-infections-can-be-controlled-with-coconut-oil/
- Aglaee, J. (2015, May). How Does Coconut Oil Kill Candida? Retrieved from: http://www.livestrong.com/article/358123-how-does-coconut-oil-kill-candida/
- Gunsalus, K.T.W., Tornberg-Belanger, S.N., Matthan, N.R., Lichtenstein, A.H. and Kumamoto, C.A. (Nov 2015). Manipulation of Host Diet To Reduce Gastrointestinal Colonization by the Opportunistic Pathogen Candida albicans. 1(1) e00020-15; (ed. Aaron Paul Mitchell). mSphere. DOI: 10.1128/mSphere.00020-15. Retrieved from https://msphere.asm.org/content/1/1/e00020-15
- Fife, B. (2003, March). Coconut Oil and Medium Chain Triglycerides. Retrieved from: http://coconutresearchcenter.org/articles-and-videos/coconut-information/coconut-oil-and-medium-chain-triglycerides/
- O’Connor, S. (2014, Dec.). 10 Amazing Beauty Tricks with Coconut Oil. Retrieved from: http://www.prevention.com/beauty/coconut-oil-cures-for-your-skin-and-hair
- Sperm Friendly Lubricants For Intercourse. (2017). Retrieved from: https://www.storkotc.com/blog/lubricants/