Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera) is an Ayurvedic adaptogen herb that you may want to consider as a part of your natural egg health program… let me share with you why!
Adaptogen herbs are prized for their ability to help increase the body’s resistance to stress, enhancing overall vitality and health. They can also help to normalize the body’s functions during diseased states. They are nutritive, and while most adaptogens are stimulating, Ashwagandha is calming and restorative.
When concerned about egg quality and health, the focus of a natural fertility program needs to be on endocrine system support for hormonal balance, along with diet, herbs, and nutritional supplements to encourage egg health. Ashwagandha is one of the herbs to learn more about!
Fertility Benefits of Ashwagandha
Ashwagandha’s fertility supportive benefits related to hormonal balance and egg health are that it:
- provides antioxidant protection of the cells, including the eggs, by reducing oxidative stress and the effects of aging.
- boosts immune system function, which is also necessary for fighting cell-damaging invaders.
- enhances endocrine function for healthy hormonal balance, a key factor for ovarian response and egg health.
- supports re-regulating, nourishing and balancing the thyroid.
…An Antioxidant Powerhouse
Vitamins, minerals, enzymes, and other nutrients are all antioxidants that help protect the body from the damage of oxidative stress; free radicals and toxins. Studies have determined that Ashwagandha not only contains antioxidants – gallic acid, quercetin and rutin – but has the ability to increase levels of lipid peroxide, superoxide dismutase, catalase, glutathione, vitamin C, vitamin A, and vitamin E, all of which rely on each other to stay strong and protect one another in order to protect the integrity of all cells.
…For Hormone & Thyroid Health
You may be wondering about the relationship between the thyroid and egg health. There is a connection about which Clinical Herbalist Anna-Marija Helt shares, “…hypothyroidism has been associated with reduced FSH and LH levels (2) which are needed for egg follicle maturation and ovarian production of estrogen and progesterone. Hypothyroidism has also been linked to the development of ovarian cysts” (cysts form in place of a healthy follicle and egg that should be released at ovulation).
Is Ashwagandha for you?
Ashwagandha has many more fertility health benefits than what I’ve shared here. Take a moment to learn the entirety of how it can support you on your fertility journey to help you decide if it’s right for you.
Supporting egg health through a healthy whole food diet and clean lifestyle, while utilizing herbs, nutritional supplements, and natural therapies, while also supporting healthy stress and immune responses is important for anyone wanting or needing to impact egg quality. This is the best way to have a chance at impacting the DNA you pass to your future child.
Be sure to check back in here at Natural-Fertility-Info.com in the coming month to learn about how Ashwagandha can support male fertility as well (and much more). The studies are very promising!
- Barton-Schuster, D. (n.d.). Ashwagandha: Ayurvedic Herb Reduces Stress & Immune-Related Infertility. Retrieved from: http://natural-fertility-info.com/ashwagandha.html
- Ghosal, S. (2000). Free radicals, oxidative stress and antioxidant defense. Phytomedica Vol.21 No.1/2 pp.1-8 ref.38. Drug Research and Development Centre Calcutta, India. Retrieved from: https://www.cabdirect.org/cabdirect/abstract/20043097561