Toxins, pesticides, and pollutants in our environment are having an effect on fertility. In this post, I am going to focus on men’s fertility and the effect these chemicals are having on their fertility.
Facts about Male Fertility
- Sperm counts have been cut in half in the last fifty years – and 85% of that is abnormal.
- In the last few decades, there has been a 200% increase in male genital birth defects.
- Male birth rates have declined. Since 1970 there have been nearly 3 million fewer baby boys.
- The quality of sperm is declining. Eighty-five per cent of the sperm produced by a healthy male is DNA-damaged.
- Boys have a higher incidence of attention deficit hyperactivity disorder, learning disabilities, Tourette’s syndrome, cerebral palsy and dyslexia.
There are recent studies that are now pointing the finger at pesticides and chemicals in our water as the cause to men’s declining fertility. So now that we know the problem, what can we do about it?
1. Reduce exposure to these estrogen mimicking toxins.
- Stop using pesticides of all sorts, bug sprays, lawn sprays. – Instead use organic treatments for your lawn and garden and natural bug sprays made with essential oils
- Avoid exposure to solvents, plastics, cosmetics, and soaps made with petrochemical based emulsifiers – a.k.a. mineral oil. Switch to a skin care line that is safe and pure
- Do not use mineral oil products on your body. Mineral oil is made from crude oil (the same stuff we make motor oil, gasoline, and plastics out of) and is like putting plastic on your skin.
- Do not microwave your food in plastic. This will release the xenohormones into your food
- Stop wearing polyester clothing (it is made out of plastic).
2. Eat organic produce, meats, and dairy.
3. Aid the liver in cleansing toxins and excess hormones.
Herbs such as milk thistle, burdock, dandelion, and yellow dock help the liver to do its job of clearing the body of excess estrogens and toxins that accumulate in the body. My two favorite herbal liver cleanse products are Liver Cleanse Tea and Liver Renew Capsules.
4. Rebuild and promote sperm health with herbs and supplements.
Men’s Multivitamin: Make sure to take a 100% whole food men’s multivitamin to make sure important vitamins and minerals (vitamin C, folic acid, zinc, and b12) are in his diet every day.
Maca: Men who use Maca have been shown to have an increase in libido and healthy sperm.
Tribulus: Tribulus helps to increase testosterone in the body. It has been proven Tribulus terrestris can increase the amount of Luteinizing Hormone (LH) produced by the body’s pituitary gland. LH stimulates the testes to secret the male hormone testosterone.
L-carnitine: It is a necessary nutrient for sperm cells to function normally. In studies supplementing with L-carnitine helps to normalize sperm motility in men with low sperm quality.
CoQ10: Acts as an antioxidant protecting the sperm cells from damage. Studies have shown a connection between CoQ10 levels and sperm health. CoQ10 has also been shown to increase sperm motility.
All of these supplements can be bought together in the Male Factor Formula Kit.
- “The Disappearing Male” – A Pinch of Science, a Pound of Speculation. (n.d.). Retrieved from: https://sciencebasedmedicine.org/the-disappearing-male-a-pinch-of-science-a-pound-of-speculation/