[green_box title=”Fertility Herb Profile Schisandra berry” ][/green_box]
As one of 50 “fundamental herbs” in Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), because of its adaptogen and tonic effects on the body, Schisandra (Schisandra chinensis) has the potential to be beneficial for male and female fertility health. This video was shared live. Download the Instagram App to watch our live broadcasts!
Schisandra berry, Wu Wei Zi or “Five Flavored Berry” is in some places referred to as the “ultimate superberry”, but not quite in the way we think of other amazingly super nutritious berries like Goji or Aronia, Acia or even blueberries. Schisandra berries, when eaten are sweet, sour, salty, bitter and pungent all at the same time. They are quite surprising when you taste them raw and probably won’t be something many are too keen on adding to their overnight oats or Fertility Smoothies. They are, however, packed with nutrients and benefits that are reportedly hard to ignore the effects of. Our guide How the Medicinal Herb Schisandra is Beneficial to Fertility explains the fertility benefits of Schisandra berries. Many of the reasons why are because Schisandra is:
- an adaptogenic herb that helps the body “adapt” to stress; regulating stress hormone production to maintain normal organ function during times of stress, helping the body increase resistance to stress and restore balance after stressful events/experiences, all while helping reduce incidents of and prevent illness.
- known to be both mildly stimulating and calming to the nervous system helping to relieve symptoms of stress like anxiety, depression, insomnia and possibly dream-disturbed sleep.
- known, as a result of the mice studies, to help male mice produce more sperm and enhance ovarian function in female mice.
- helpful in assisting the body in removing excess estrogen. Schisandra is rich in lignans and lignan precursors. The plant’s fiber attaches to excess estrogen so it can be removed via the body’s systems of elimination.
- able to “counteract the effects of sugar… and normalize blood sugar[levels]”, two important benefits for women with insulin-resistant PCOS.
- an aphrodisiac.
- beneficial for men experiencing premature ejaculation and spermatorrhea (involuntary ejaculation).
- able to help protect the liver from damage (hepatoprotective).
- a cholagogue. It stimulates and increases the flow of bile into the intestines, aiding in the digestion, breakdown, distribution and absorption of nutrients like fats and fat-soluble vitamins by the digestive system.
- rich in antioxidants. Schisandra berries help to protect healthy cells from free radicals (free radicals damage cells) and may have the ability to help rebuild damaged cells.
While Schisandra berries are treated as herbal medicine by Westerner herbalists, they can in fact be eaten raw, cooked or dried. Compliance in taking them may be better if they are made into a decoction or infused in juice. They can also be purchased in capsules, tincture form (liquid extract), or a glycerite as well. I encourage you to give these amazing berries a chance if the list above speaks to your present experience of infertility.