When beginning a natural fertility program, many couples have questions about cleansing: What are the benefits of a Fertility Cleanse? How long does it take? What do you actually do? This article answers all the questions we receive regularly on fertility cleansing.
Q1: Hi, I’m considering getting the male and female fertility cleanse kits, but don’t know what it entails other than some teas. Can you tell me what exactly we would have to do with this cleanse? I.e. take a pill, drink tea twice a day, etc?
A: The Fertility Cleanse Kits contain teas, tinctures, pills and for men, a green drink. You can view all of these items by clicking on the “ingredients” tab on each of the product pages at the Natural Fertility Shop. In addition, each of the kits will come with full instructions on how to use each item and when.
The kits last 30 days and have 2 phases. Each cleanse has a tea, capsule and liquid extract to take two times a day (this can be with/without water).
In brief, how to follow the Fertility Cleanse:
- In phase 1: women use 3 products and the men use 4.
- In phase 2: women use 2 products and the men use 3.
The women’s cleanse is designed to start the day after your period ends. If you don’t have a monthly period or your period is very irregular, you can begin the cleanse at any time. The men’s kit can also be started at any time. Many couples choose to cleanse together.
Reminder: Do not try to conceive during the month of your cleanse. This allows you to focus on cleansing without concerns about taking herbs that are not suggested during pregnancy.
Q2: What are the benefits of Fertility Cleansing? Is there anyone who should not cleanse?
A: There are real benefits to the foundational step of Fertility Cleansing. Fertility Cleansing supports the body’s own detoxification abilities to help you achieve optimal reproductive wellness.
For women, it encourages the body’s natural ability to remove excess hormones, supports the uterus and promotes normal liver function- all keys to reproductive health.
For men, the Male Fertility Cleanse includes targeted herbs, which have been used traditionally to help support the body’s natural ability to detoxify itself and maintain normal sperm health.
While fertility cleansing is a good choice for most everyone, there are a few special groups of people who should not cleanse:
- People who are on prescription medication should not cleanse without first speaking with their doctors. Some medication potency may be reduced or affected by fertility cleansing.
- People who are recovering from serious illnesses or surgery may want to wait until their bodies are stronger before cleansing. Even a gentle cleanse like the Fertility Cleanse may demand too much body energy if you’ve been very ill.
- If your BMI is very low, we suggest waiting to cleanse until you’re at a healthier weight. A good choice is to work on rebuilding your body with the Fertility Diet before trying a cleanse.
Note: One can cleanse up to two times a year (with a 6 month break between cleanses).
Q3: What do I eat while following the cleanse? Do I need a separate shopping list for the right foods? Do I need to order anything else for this to work?
A: You don’t need a separate shopping list, but remember to shop the outer perimeter of the grocery store where the real food is. A cleanse works best when your body doesn’t have to process junk foods or chemical-laced foods. Stick to the principles of a Fertility Diet, or start following it, while you cleanse. For the most support, include Fertility Smoothies, broths, cleansing fruits and vegetables every day you cleanse. Choose organic foods for any high-risk items (GMO foods, “Dirty Dozen,” or animal foods)!
You really don’t need much to cleanse beyond an open mind, the teas and herbal formulas. I suggest practicing relaxation techniques while you cleanse: aromatherapy, warm baths, massage or meditation. Stress is as toxic for your body as a poor diet!
Tip: Stay hydrated! Drink lots of water.
Taking this first step…
Do your best to take it easy while you cleanse. Even if you don’t feel cleansing happen, your body is working hard. Get plenty of rest. Fertility cleansing is a great first step on your natural fertility program. Happy cleansing!
- Rodriguez, H. (2018). How To Prepare for Conception with a Fertility Cleanse. Retrieved from: https://natural-fertility-info.com/prepare-for-conceptiion
- Barton-Schuster, D. (2018). Support Full Detoxification During the Fertility Cleanse.Retrieved from: https://natural-fertility-info.com/support-full-detoxification-during-the-fertility-cleanse.html
- Rector-Page, L. G., & Abernathy, S. (2012). Healthy healing. California: Healthy Healing.
- Personal correspondence with Elizabeth Willett, M.A., Certified Herbalist