1. Q: I was told I have a low AMH level, is there any way I can improve my AMH levels?
A: A Low AMH level may indicate early ovarian aging and decreased egg supply only, it does not determine egg health/quality. Even though we know the health of our eggs (and all the cells of our bodies) decline with age, we also know that there are many ways to work to protect cellular health, including egg health. While it is important to support healthy endocrine system function, there may be few ways to impact declining AMH levels if this has happened as a natural part of aging. This is why we focus on naturally supporting the health of the remaining eggs, the eggs you still have.
It only takes 90 Days (the cycle of an egg) to impact egg health. What you begin doing now has the potential to impact the egg preparing to be released 90 days from now. If you stop and think about it, that is truly a short period of time!
To learn the full scope of the best ways to improve egg health naturally please refer to our complete Increase Egg Health Guide.
2. Q: I have been to fertility Drs. My AMH levels are very low, which causes me not to ovulate. I would say I am considered to be in pre-menopause. What can I do to bring my period back?
A: This is a challenging question to answer in all honesty. If you are going through the stages leading up to menopause, the likelihood that a regular menstrual period will come back with the use of any type of natural remedy or medications is low to unlikely. There are some really important aspects to consider:
- Perimenopause leads to pre-menopause and then menopause. Pre-menopause is the transition of a woman’s hormonal cycle from perimenopause to the beginning of menopause. Being in pre-menopause is a natural part of the female aging process.
- A woman who is over the age of 40 and has not had a period for some time (a year or longer) is often considered to be going through menopause, if other health conditions that may cause this have been ruled out. If it has been determined by a doctor that the woman is going through menopause, the likelihood of the menstrual period coming back is unlikely.
- Has your doctor determined if there is an underlying fertility health issue that may also be impacting menstruation and ovulation?
- Poor nutrition, lack of exercise or excessive exercise, and high stress levels are also factors that can cause or contribute to a lack of menstruation.
If you are under the age of 40 with a low AMH level and anovulation, there is a better chance of menstruation returning with a commitment to lifestyle changes.
I want to share that the natural aging process that is menopause is completely normal and healthy, unless you are under the age of 40.
If you are under the age of 40, we encourage you to work to improve your health in order to hopefully improve your reproductive function. The most supportive ways to do this are:
- adopt a Fertility Diet, filled with fresh, whole foods (cutting down on caffeine, alcohol and sugar)
- exercise daily to increase physical health and circulation throughout the reproductive system
- get adequate amounts of sleep
- consider herbs that support a healthy menstrual cycle
Are you wanting to have a baby? If so, even if after establishing the above important changes to your life, your period still hasn’t come back and your doctor hasn’t seen any changes in your test results, you may want to consider using a donor egg to achieve pregnancy. We have had many clients choose this option and go on to become parents due to this life-giving option for those with premature ovarian failure. Using donor eggs can greatly increase your chances of a successful pregnancy. You can also utilize natural fertility methods to prepare you for IVF and pregnancy, which can increase your chances of success even more.
No matter what age you are, what your test results indicate, or whether you get pregnant naturally or with medical assistance, we have seen incredible changes to health in those who commit to taking the time to naturally prepare for pregnancy. Let us walk with you on this journey by helping you to create a natural fertility health program for your specific needs!