Just like women, men need to take care of the basics to promote their fertility. Making small, incremental changes in diet and lifestyle can make a big difference in a man’s reproductive health. Most men I speak to find they want to stick with healthy changes because they feel so much better, with improved libido and energy. Many also see improvements on their fertility tests! Here are six, easy things every man can be doing for his fertility, starting today.
1. Re-check your lifestyle. Look at your challenge areas. Does your diet need more fresh foods? Do you need to cut back on drinking alcohol or quit smoking? Make positive changes where you know you need to. If you need to decrease fast or convenience foods, try to plan healthier meals in advance. For ideas, see: 5 Easy Ways To Add Nutrients To The Male Fertility Diet. If you’re strapped for time, add a green superfood powder to a fresh juice or smoothie daily- an easy way to make sure your body gets the nutrition it needs!
2. Take Antioxidants. Like eggs (ova), sperm is highly susceptible to free radical damage. Free radical activity is increased in men who are exposed to chemical pollutants, drink alcohol in excess, smoke or have a poor diet. To fight free radical damage to sperm cells, eat high antioxidant foods like: berries, green leafy vegetables, mangos, sweet potato, peppers, carrots, beans, fresh nuts and seeds. Consider an antioxidant supplement like FertilicaTM Choice Antioxidants for extra protection. Even with the best intentions, a man’s fertility may need support from supplements.
3. Energize Hormones with Herbs. If you have never tried herbs for fertility, now is the time. Specific herbs like Tribulus (Tribulus terrestris) encourage normal sperm count and motility. Others like American ginseng (Panax quinquefolius) and Maca (Lepidium meyenii) act as rejuvenative tonics and increase libido. Herbal extracts (liquids) are easy to take and the alcohol they are made with is not known to negatively impact fertility (one gets minute amounts in a daily dose). You can take them straight or add them to a smoothie or juice if you don’t like the taste. The formula FertilicaTM MH5 combines these herbs and can be used to promote normal male fertility along with healthy lifestyle changes. Note: MH5 is not recommended for men with high blood pressure or on blood pressure medications.
4. Stay hydrated. It’s vital to drink plenty of water on any healing program. Staying hydrated naturally promotes body cleansing, helping to rid the body of toxins that may affect fertility. Water also keeps pH balanced and circulation strong, critical for male reproductive function. Keep a water bottle handy throughout the day. Choose stainless steel or glass containers to avoid toxic chemicals leached from plastic. If you’re especially fatigued or working long hours, add an electrolyte drink mix to your water to replenish minerals while energizing the body.
5. Get regular exercise. Male hormone production is intricately connected to exercise. While all forms of exercise help, weightlifting and high-intensity interval training (HIIT) have been found to increase testosterone levels over the short term. Early research finds increased physical activity is more beneficial than a weight loss diet for increasing testosterone levels in overweight men! Strive to exercise 4-5 times a week for 30-60 minutes a day for the best results for fertility.
6. De-stress. Chronic stress elevates cortisol levels, which can lower libido, testosterone, and even sperm count. For men who take semen tests each month, stress may be especially high. Take time each day to ease stress while you work on your fertility. A few good choices: take a long weekend; try acupuncture, meditation or massage therapy; or consider stress reducing herbs like Skullcap (Scutellaria lateriflora) or Rhodiola (Rhodiola rosea).
Be Proactive But Be Patient!
While men’s fertility is often highly responsive to natural therapies, it’s a good idea to give your program at least 3-6 months for the best results. Male fertility is a major expression of overall health. Take the time to really work on your program and pay attention to the changes you experience. Be patient. Know that improvements in sperm count, motility, and morphology are signs that your health is leveling up. By increasing fertility, you’re also fighting the effects of premature aging and creating a healthier body environment for years to come.
To learn more about the products mentioned above, please follow these links:
FertilicaTM Choice Antioxidant
MH5 – Male Fertility Formula
- Barton, D. (2018). The Men’s Guide To Preparing for IVF. Retrieved from: https://natural-fertility-info.com/men-preparing-for-ivf.html
- 8 Proven Ways To Increase Testosterone Naturally. (2018). Retrieved from: https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/8-ways-to-boost-testosterone
- How Stress Is Linked to Low Testosterone in Men. (2016, Sept.). Retrieved from: https://www.turtlecreekmedicalcenter.com/how-stress-is-linked-to-low-testosterone-in-men/
- Managing Stress and Low Testosterone. (2015, June). Retrieved from: https://www.everydayhealth.com/hs/low-testosterone-guide/managing-stress/